1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - SELCO: What You Need to Know About Survival Caches

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Jul 16, 2018.

1. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Some recommendations on the "what, why, where, how" of making caches.

What You Need to Know About Survival Caches - The Organic Prepper

You may disagree with the idea of caches... I'm in favor of them.

The author offers a very good (IMO) suggestion on how to remember and relocate your cache(s). Take family/group pictures at the location and save them as simple memorabilia. No need for maps and/or GPS coordinates which might give away their purpose.

2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Caches have a place in both a bug out plan and a bug in plan. I believe it is a valuable tool to utilize caches in your plan.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

the trouble with caches is unless they are on your own land you have no control over them.

Atlas likes this.
  4. Atlas

That is true, but it's one of the chances that must be taken in some cases. This is why it is probably best to keep caches on other peoples land cheap and only filled with the basics.

5. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I have one cache now. It is nearby and contains a small amount of money. We are in a medium size city and I would need to travel several miles to get outside of it. That is the next choice for a cache.

lonewolf; yes, a cache is at risk of being found by others. The solution is to have more than one cache, with duplicate content. I wish I could afford to do that right now.

Atlas likes this.
  6. lonewolf

I live in the British countryside, I don't expect to have to bug out, most British preppers say I have bugged out already as I left the city 20 years ago.

Atlas likes this.
  7. Atlas

I live in one of my bug out locations part of the year. I am also very lucky to have several others that I spend some time at each year, thanks to family, in several states.

One word of caution @lonewolf, coming from someone who lives in a high fire danger area, keep a bug out plan for just in case, you never know when something might take your home away that you have no control of.

8. lonewolf

oh don't worry, I have 5 or 6 places I can go to if this place ever becomes unsafe, already located and scouted by me in advance.

Atlas likes this.