1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article- Prepping Doesn’t Require You to Be Pessimistic

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, May 30, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Bunker Bob and twp like this.
  2. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Much as I wish I could afford a fully equipped missile silo converted to a Prepper bunker, I don't want to go that far down the pessimism rabbit hole.

I like Bunker Bob's advice on treating Prepping as insurance. We hope don't need it, but have it in case we do...

Atlas likes this.
  3. Atlas

That's exactly what prepping is for me. Insurance. Like the good kind, not the money earning racquet kind.

twp likes this.
  4. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

Same here. I used to be a worrier. About everything. It did not have anything specific to do with prepping or why one would prep. My early preps were simply a way of life that I learned growing up. Later, when I did start prepping for specific reasons, that small part of my worrying was no longer there. I worried a bit less. I learned to control my worry about other things, in much the same way. I did something about them, or thought through the causes rationally, and came to the conclusion that there was either nothing for me to worry about in most of those cases, and in the rest, there was no point in worrying as there was nothing at all I could do about it.

Since I was continuing to prep through those years, I never really worried about the things I was prepping to avoid or get through, since I knew I could. Just insurance, like that for my car and the apartment contents. I was not going to do anything that would cause me to have to call on that insurance to take care of something, because even with insurance, there are hassles and aggravations to recover whatever it is about.

That meant I had the insurance, there in the background, in case it was needed. It is exactly the same with my insurance for a large array of possibilities. My preps.

Just my opinion.

twp and Atlas like this.
  5. Bunker Bob

Bunker Bob Member

Prepping is a hedge. The news cycle is dark these days, so people think the end of the world is near. It's so important to avoid growing discouraged by the state of affairs and to enjoy your life! That said, insuring yourself against risk is a pragmatic thing to do. This message gets lost when negative sentiment sweeps across the airwaves and message boards. Let's stay positive!

Atlas and twp like this.
  6. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

@Bunker Bob I look at prepping as cheap insurance. If you never need to use it, you can still eat the food stores and go camping with the gear. No loss.

Atlas likes this.
  7. Atlas

Me too.

twp likes this.