1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - Is The US Power Grid Collapsing?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Feb 11, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

I'm posting this on the public side of the forum so more people may read it.

Our US power grid is a known weakness. It is also a recognized "Prepper Threat Item". It SHOULD be on your list of possible threats. On my own Threat Analysis Spreadsheet, it is ranked at 90+ Likelihood on a scale of 100 and 90+ Risk on a scale of 100.

The article gives some good statistics in support of the Likelihood and Risk factors. Read it to understand the problem. Unfortunately, the author gives no references in support of his statistics. It is up to you to do your own due-diligence research on this point. I recommend a NON-Google web search, perhaps using Startpage.com or DuckDuckGo.com, with search terms such as:
    "Power Grid Failures"
    "Electric Power Loss"
    "Grid Failure"
    "Power Loss"

https://www.survivopedia.com/why-the-us-power-grid-is-a-mess/

hypnos likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

It is a mess. All the more reason to get off the grid as much as you are capable of.

hypnos likes this.
  3. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I figured at least some of it was before the 1950's..but. Some predates 1900..now I'm amazed the we still have a power grid.

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  4. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Don't even try to suggest that they attempt to make the grid EMP proof... They have "better" things to spend budget money on... Retirement funds, CEO salaries, etc.

Atlas, hypnos and jimLE like this.
  5. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

And don't forget the bonuses

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  6. hypnos

hypnos Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone remember that attack on the power grid in California i believe...a group of radicalized gentleman decided to shoot up a bunch of transformers, they succeeded and it took quite a while to restore things to working order. It's insane to think how many of the parts our grid relies on are custom made, with no spares or standard assemblies to speak of. I know I've mentioned it before, but, Project Dark Skies in Wisconsin was a multi agency operation preparing for just this sort of thing. Also worth a quick web search, make sure to put Wisconsin in the query.

7. Atlas

8. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

The person that took out the power substation for silicon valley got away.and it took power crews 27 days to get it up n running again.i figure they must of had the huge transformers on hand.

Atlas likes this.
  9. Atlas

Yeah, the question is, how many do they have on hand? My guess is less than I have fingers.

jimLE likes this.