1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article- Is HAM radio relevant to EmComms still?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

https://www.eham.net/articles/42205

This article makes for some valid arguments against amateur radio in the future. Like everything else, all of the new tech is centered around the internet. What happens when the net goes down?

As usual, the comments are better than the article, so don't forget to read those as well.

2. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

If your transceiver still works, and others have them, then communication can continue. The Internet is far more likely to have problems because of the huge infrastructure needed to maintain it across the country/world.

You are the radio repairman but there is not much you can do to keep the Internet running beyond a local mesh network.

3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I prefer to be in control of my own fate, especially in a disaster scenario. Where I see this going is that people will forget how to communicate without the grid and then the disaster will be even worse. Even emergency services are losing these skills.

4. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

I think you are not alone in the world of Amateur Radio. Sure, lots of younger people are mesmerized by the Internet, but they will be asking for help from HAMs if we have an event which drops the Internet. Since there are at least two generations of HAM operators still alive and kicking, it isn't going to go away soon. Look at mesh radio internet services also.

Crystal radios may come back in style along with the ability to wind your own chokes and transformers. Build your library deep.

Atlas likes this.