1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - In the Kitchen...Scrapers, Spatulas and Turners

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by twp, Jul 10, 2018.

1. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Another article on kitchen tools.

The Iowa Housewife: In the Kitchen...Scrapers, Spatulas and Turners

My advice:

Because flexible spatulas will wear out fairly quickly, stockpile enough to last a while. My estimate, based on experience, is that these have about a 2 year lifetime. YMMV, depending on whether you use them for cooking.

In a post-event world, these will become valuable and suitable for barter (if you have enough of them).

You will also need a plan on making your own kitchen tools. Carving them from wood or salvaged plastic stock are some options.

Talking about METAL tools, they will last longer (years) but must be treated with respect to avoid rust. Stainless steel is better in this regard.

Atlas likes this.
  2. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I have 3 spatulas.each one of a diff size.and all 3 are stainless steel.matter of fact.most of my kitchen tools and kitchen knifes are stainless steel. But yet.i do have some wooden spoons of diff size's and leanths as well.

3. twp

My kitchen hand tools are mixed bag. Some are cheap plastic and will not last long in regular use. My few metal tools, a pancake spatula, a set of aluminum tongs have lasted for several years and still look fine. Knives are all good but I want more to complete the set.

I have a soft plastic spatula which someone used to scrape out a metal can... The plastic edge has some gaps now... No, it wasn't me.

jimLE likes this.
  4. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I don't like those plastic spatulas and spoons. On account they bend,melt and can't handle as much whight as the metal ones.

Atlas likes this.
  5. twp

:D My plastic was free. Mostly from a couple of Pizza parlors near me. I did buy some Dollar store rubber spatulas and will probably get more from there in the future.

I agree about the plastic handled stuff, it makes it difficult to lift larger item out of a pot. I end up using a large pancake spatula and a fork to life things like a roast out of the crockpot.

I would like to get an all metal soup ladle, but I'm not willing to pay the prices outside of the Dollar store... and they don't seem to offer all metal anymore. I'll have to bite the bullet and pay.

Atlas likes this.
  6. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I have 2- 2 prong forks,and a long handle spatula.in which i use them for pork roast. And other large meats.also have a ladle.they do come in handy..

Atlas likes this.
  7. twp

We don't have any 2 prong "meat" forks and I want to get one or more. It's on the list. :D

Atlas and jimLE like this.