1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - How to make yeast for long term storage

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by twp, Nov 4, 2018.

1. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

This article contains easy to follow instructions on how to make and dry yeast for cooking.

How To Make Yeast For Long-Term Storage - Bio Prepper

I recommend using a food dehydrator for the drying, but this can be done with simple air drying or in a warm oven. Heed the warning to avoid killing the yeast with too high temperatures.

You can start with commercial yeast from the store, but you can also follow the instructions and culture natural yeast from multiple sources.

Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I have never tried this before and am very curious. I like to bake, so this could be a really good skill to have. Have you done this before?

3. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I've done the potato brew and got some yeast action, but I didn't keep track of the time and it died (starved because I didn't feed it soon enough). It was definitely a sourdough batch, by smell (good) until it died, then the smell was awful and let me know it was dead...

You might have better luck starting out with commercial yeast and making a batch for drying.

Atlas likes this.