1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - How to Build a 44-Day Stockpile for Only $2.40 a Day

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by twp, Jul 7, 2018.

1. twp

twp Active Member

YMMV on these prices, but the concept should make sense to all preppers.

Because my prepping is based on an assumption of a Long Term Crisis, I will take these methods as only a Short Term solution.

Be ready to expand this stocking method because a 44 day supply will NOT get you through a winter, summer and fall to the next harvest.

Since these seeds will also be used to plant your next season's crop, you will need to factor in enough extra stock...

How to Build a 44-Day Stockpile for Only $2.40 a Day - Ask a Prepper

If we have a true crisis, you may not be able to buy these seeds. So stock up now and rotate each year to keep the grains viable for sprouting..

Note that while you can stockpile the oxygen absorbers, you will need Many of them and they too will not be available in a post-crisis world. Learn to do without this item.

2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

This is a great way to START a food pantry prep, but there is a saying that I go by "store what you eat, eat what you store" and those are words to live by. Judging food preps based solely on caloric content leads to waste. Trust me, I've thrown away too much food to prove it.

Now, it might make alot of sense to put back items like this for barter, if you are at that point.

3. twp

twp Active Member

You make a good point. The article shows only raw bulk grains and doesn't get to the other needs, such as flour mills, Nixtamalization to make Corn nutrients available, etc.

There are also other grains to be considered in the stockpile, but if they are unfamiliar, they likely won't get used...

I like the barter idea and that would take some research to determine if there is a market for a particular type of food, not necessarily just grains.

Atlas likes this.
  4. Atlas

Tools to prepare the food is a great subject. I have actually not read much about this subject on prepper websites lately. Grain mills, sausage grinders, pressure canners and the rest must be boring subjects these days!

5. twp

twp Active Member

I have some cooking sites bookmarked and they have regular articles on kitchen tools. I'll have to start a thread on them.

Atlas likes this.
  6. Atlas

Please do.

7. twp

twp Active Member