1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - How $5 A Week Can Get Your Family 295 Pounds Of Food

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by twp, Dec 4, 2018.

1. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

We've all seen various "plans" on how to stockpile as a prepper. This plan is simple to implement and does ease the impact on household budgets.

Do the math: 52 weeks at $5/week is $260. If you don't use the US Dollar in your country, do the conversion. It is still, for many people, an expense which must come from somewhere. Plan on diverting some of your income to building your food stockpile.

http://www.askaprepper.com/how-5-dollars-week-can-get-your-family-295-pounds-of-food/

Obviously, you can modify this plan to match your preferred list of foods: "Stock what you eat and eat what you stock". Avoid foods which would NOT be a normal part of your current diet. If you don't eat it now (Vienna Sausages in my case), then choose something else which you Will eat. I chose Spam as the substitute, YMMV.

If you look at the list in the article, you should note that these are relatively long term storage foods. This is your Emergency/SHTF stockpile.

Just as an example, we buy rice and pinto beans. We also buy jars of spaghetti sauce. I save those jars and dry can the rice and beans. That means using the oven to heat the open jars of rice or beans (30 minutes at 250 F) and the lids are boiled and dried while the jars are heated. Put the DRY lids on the hot jars. I get about 95% success on a reseal (the lid snaps down as the content cools). Any jar which does not reseal is either used for cooking or re-heated and sealed again.

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

The heat creates a vacuum to seal the jars?

I've thought about trying this, but never have. Maybe it's time.

3. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Hot air expands. Sealing the jar while hot and letting it cool will leave a partial vacuum inside the jar. The idea is to drive off any water on the rice or beans.

Atlas likes this.