Article - Food Storage and Learning from History

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
https://prepschooldaily.blogspot.com/2020/06/food-storage-and-learning-from-history.html

Below I have pasted in several lengthy excerpts from an article written by F. Enzio Busche, a German who experienced World War II and the aftermath as a child. There is a link for the complete article at the end of this blog; I encourage you to read it. However, for purposes of this post I have excerpted what I think will be of most interest to those striving to prepare as best as possible, especially with regard to food.

"May I share with you some experiences that I, along with millions of other Europeans, had in the days of devastation, total destruction, and starvation that became a reality for so many survivors of World War II. These experiences helped me to recognize and appreciate the basic necessities of life and to separate true needs from false wants....
"These four basic items—oil, wheat, honey, and milk (or their equivalents in other cultures)—together with water, salt, and renewable basic foods such as potatoes and other vegetables, can satisfy nutritional requirements in times of emergency and also are valuable and usable in normal daily life.
[emphasis mine]

WolfBrother

The basic 1 year food storage list for the LDS Church is:
One Adult Portion
Grains—400 pounds (181 kg); includes wheat, flour, rice, corn, oatmeal, and pasta
Legumes—60 pounds (27 kg); includes dry beans, split peas, lentils, etc.
Powdered Milk—16 pounds (7 kg)
Cooking Oil—10 quarts (9 l)
Sugar or Honey—60 pounds (27 kg)
Salt—8 pounds (3.6 kg)
Water (2 weeks*)—14 gallons (53 l)
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org...om-sampler/food-storage-for-one-year?lang=eng

The basic 1 year food kit from Rainy Day Foods formerly known as Walton Feed:
Basic 1 Year Unit - Out of stock
A simple bucket unit for one person.
3 super pails of hard red wheat
3 super pails of hard white wheat
1 super pail of small red beans
1 super pail of small white beans
1 super pail of instant milk
2 super pail of pinto beans
3 super pails of white rice
1 super pail of black turtle beans
1 super pail of quick oats
1 #10 can of shortening powder
1 #10 can of baking soda
1 #10 can of baking powder
1 #10 can of iodized salt
2 #10 cans of sugar
1 #2.5 can of beef bouillon
1 #2.5 can of chicken bouillon
3 packages of yeast
1 lid remover
https://rainydayfoods.com/basic-unit.html

When you get down to it, you may get bored silly with he sameness but you can survive on These four basic items—oil, wheat, honey, and milk (or their equivalents in other cultures)—together with water, salt, and renewable basic foods such as potatoes and other vegetables

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
Yeah, it would get boring, but having a backup which will keep you alive is the right idea.
Adding other things for flavor/nutrition is up to the individual (No asparagus, thanks, but how about canned fruit?).

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Boring is better than dead. That being said, it is good to have these things in different forms if you can help it.

Reactions: twp