1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - Excellent Ways To Effectively Manage Your Cordage

Discussion in 'Useful articles written by others' started by twp, Jun 5, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Punty and Atlas like this.
  2. Punty

Punty Active Member

I've been mulling over ways that I can use my backpack frame as a cordage organizer. Haven't quite figured out how I am going to do that, yet.

Atlas and twp like this.
  3. twp

Re backpack frames, I wound about 100 feet of sisal twine, top to bottom, on my frame. It is NOT quick to do nor quick to extract, but it does serve two uses, it is cordage for later use and a cushion against my back when carrying the pack.

I initially tried wrapping it side-to-side (horizontally) but it tended to slide down with use and wound up a packed together knot near the bottom of the frame... Not useful.

Atlas and Punty like this.
  4. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

A couple of things:
    1) Learn to 'chain' cordage. Especially larger sizes. It is not that great in small sizes, but at 1/2" and over, and for electrical cords and fluid hoses it works very well for easy, tangle-free deployment.
    2) Make or buy bungee cord boards. Otherwise, they will always, and it seems like forever, be tangled. My brother carries dozens of bungees of several sizes with him for various uses. He uses boards he made and his bungees are never tangled. If I have more than two bungees in the truck they wind up knotted together, without at least one S hook on one or more of them.
    3) I can vouch for the Spool Tool. I have I think three, perhaps four of them. There are some similar items available, without the lighter attachment, cutter, and holding slots in various combinations. If I get more carriers I doubt I will get more Spool Tools. Not because they are not effective and worth it, but because I do not need more than the ones I have to handle the operations they can do that other types cannot. That is the cutting, melting, and smoothing the melt. As long as I have one of them handy, and I always do, my other cordage can be on other carriers, of which I have several.

Just my opinion.

Atlas and Punty like this.
  5. twp

Jerry, bungee cords must be allowed to tangle... Otherwise they will not breed and you must forever buy them from bungee breeders at higher cost... :p Same as wire coat hangers... Look what happened to them, they morphed into thick plastic which is useless for Preppers.