Article - Exact Change Please: Walmart, Kroger, CVS Are Feeling The Coin Shortage

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
Are any of you seeing this "coin shortage" at your local stores? This report is from NPR, which DOES NOT have my trust, but the information has appeared in other news reports. Note that this is four days old.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...mart-kroger-cvs-are-feeling-the-coin-shortage

Supermarkets and gas stations across the U.S. are asking shoppers to pay with a card or produce exact change when possible. Walmart has converted some of its self-checkout registers to accept only plastic. Kroger is offering to load change that would normally involve coins onto loyalty cards. Some Wawa gas stations are accepting coin rolls in exchange for bills.

The trouble began weeks ago, when the coronavirus pandemic delivered a bizarre double blow to the U.S. supply of quarters, dimes, nickels and even pennies. Social distancing and other safety measures slowed production of coins at the U.S. Mint. But also fewer coins made their way from customers to banks, coin-sorting kiosks and stores' cash registers as people holed up at home.

twp

Staff member
A Coin Shortage Or Push For Digital Currency?

http://andmagazine.com/talk/2020/07/20/a-coin-shortage-or-push-for-digital-currency/

Signs have started popping up in a lot of stores saying they would like “exact change” if you plan to pay in cash. Tweets are blaming it on the COVID-19 crisis, but what’s behind the reported “coin shortage?”
Sadly, the use of Twitter as a news source is making this report less believable... Still... I think (MY OPINION) that there is an effort underway to force use of a digital currency system. Big Brother wants to track your money because it really isn't YOUR money...

jimLE

I've been hearing about the coin shortage.but haven't seen it yet,

twp

Staff member
I've not seen a coin shortage here in Reno, NV. We don't go out much, so my experience is about 3 weeks old.

I'm told, second hand, that a local 7-Eleven is asking for change.