1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - EMP And The Modern Computer-Controlled Car

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Jul 15, 2018.

1. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Some advice from someone who looked at a vehicle damaged by lightning strikes and extrapolated his observation to EMP damage.

Also includes advice on what vehicles may be most resistant to lightning/EMP damage.

EMP And The Modern Computer-Controlled Car, by Oldgeezer - SurvivalBlog.com

DO NOTE the paragraph about being able to run on battery charge even when the alternator is fried. While this is very hard on the battery and may drain it to the point of no recovery, it may also allow the vehicle to keep running, in case you Need to go.

2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

That is a good article, but it brings up some other things that need to be discussed. These cars are a pretty extreme example of computer controlled machines, I wonder how a much simpler truck would have faired the same situation. I also wonder how similar this really is to an EMP, do you have other sources that agree with this?

3. twp

Answer to your question; No. The author is making a stretch to compare a lightning strike to an EMP strike. They are different.

The problem is that there are few, if any, reports on EMP testing. There are simulators which attempt to create the Electromagnetic effects of an EMP/Solar Coronal Mass Ejection, but they really didn't test a typical consumer vehicle. Those which I have read were tests on electronic devices such as laptop/desktop computers and cellphones. And they were still simulations.

Nulcear bomb tests, which were done in the South Pacific, were not specifically looking for EMP effects. There were reports of these effects from locations in the same global hemisphere, but no formal test results.

The author does suggest that early model vehicles, specifically trucks, might be less susceptible to EMP/lightning strikes because they don't have the digital electronics which run newer cars.

4. Atlas

This is an excellent EMP site, if you haven't gone through it, please do.

EMP Effects on Vehicles - Futurescience.com

Because of what I have read to date, I put EMP low on my prepper list. First, because it is pretty much unknown what the effects really will be. Second, because the odds of it happening are very low in my opinion. Third, if it does happen there will be quite a bit more going on at the same time and I doubt I'll be wanting to drive anyways.

5. twp

I would want to have a vehicle which Might have a higher chance of working, post EMP. In case I'm away from either home or need to travel to a safe shelter. That is predicated on a man-made EMP which implies that we are in full blow war. As you say, other things will be happening at the same time.

If many vehicles are put out of operation by an EMP, then I want a vehicle which can push the road clear. This is a tough call because the owners of those dead vehicles will probably be nearby...

If I'm close enough to my BOL, then it is a moot point, but I'd rather have the option to travel, quickly, than be stuck on foot/bicycle when "other things" are going on.

Atlas likes this.
  6. twp

RE the article in your post:

I don't know the world in which the author lives, but in my world, it has never happened...

The testing was done using a simulator/test laboratory to create the EM pulse. More testing is needed, particularly using current model vehicles with electronic control.

7. Atlas

8. Atlas

9. twp

Gee, who would ever want this kind of technology? [snark off]

Just every LE agency in the world.

I wonder how long it will take to see mandated retrofits on all existing vehicles?

Atlas likes this.
  10. tulpa23

tulpa23 Well-Known Member

I know people that say an old Isuzu diesel pickup would be pretty much immune to EMP. If you wanna get real kinky, keep a fully charged battery in a Faraday cage and swap it out weekly with one on a trickle charger “out here”.

Atlas likes this.
  11. twp

My understanding of EMP effects says that the battery itself is relatively immune. The trouble arises when it is connected to long wires, which DO pick up the induced currents from a EMP, then the battery can be harmed. Simply removing the wires from the battery posts should protect the battery itself.

BUT, your charging system, and the internal wiring in the car/truck, may not survive. Particularly the alternator diodes. Spares, kept in Faraday cage storage, would be safer. Plus you'll need the knowledge to re-wire a car/truck.

Atlas likes this.
  12. Atlas

I'm thinking early 2000's pre DEF diesel trucks are pretty much the best of all worlds and the number one prep vehicle at this point. If I could find a white rhino, I know I would buy one.

White rhino= early 2000's 24 valve Cummins Dodge 2500 extended cab short bed with less than 100k on the odometer. Preferably with a rebuilt 5 speed tranny.

13. tulpa23

tulpa23 Well-Known Member

Stick shift=millennial anti-theft device.
    None of them shiftless turds gonna steal that!

14. Atlas

I have a 15 year old daughter. Guess what she's learning to do? I wouldn't leave the keys in the ignition my friend, you might be surprised.

jimLE likes this.
  15. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

I don't think it matters if the car is unaffected, the computer and the electric pump in the filling station will be so no fuel post EMP.
    as most people in my country don't fill up until the fuel warning light comes on post EMP they will all be walking.
    I fill up as soon as my tank gets to half, sometimes before.

Atlas likes this.
  16. Atlas

Keeping the tank half full is an old bit of prepper advice. I hope everyone here sticks to it.

Good point on the pumps. I think that the general assumption is that the fuel in tanks will be salvageable for a while afterwards.

Personally, I think its ludicrous to believe you would be able to get away with driving a car around when everyone else is not. I'm not counting on it.

17. lonewolf

if people DO try to evacuate with little fuel in their tanks the highways will end up as giant parking lots and nobody will be driving anywhere.

Atlas likes this.
  18. Atlas

Has there been a mass evacuation of an entire city in recent history over there? In the southern US it happens every few years when a hurricane rolls through and it is always ugly.

19. lonewolf

no, it probably wont happen here, I don't believe in the "golden horde" theory not in Britain anyway, Brits are more likely to sit and wait to be rescued. but if they did their tanks are so low that they wouldn't get far anyway.

20. Atlas

One thought that I had. How much is a liter of gas these days?