1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article -Emergency Cooking Ideas and Operational Security

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Dec 2, 2019.

1. twp

twp Search with DuckDuckGo.com Staff Member

hypnos likes this.
  2. old guy

old guy Active Member

Don't forget you can have peanut butter and jelly until the crackers run out.

hypnos, Atlas and twp like this.
  3. twp

Even after the crackers run out, left hand is for jelly, right hand is for peanut butter. Switching hands is optional. Be sure to buy only wide mouth jars, so your hand doesn't get stuck.

Also, these two foods don't have a smell which carries on the wind. Much safer.:D

jimLE, hypnos and Atlas like this.
  4. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I've thought about the smell of foods in bad times.especially seeing how i have neighbors living to close for comfort. I've learned 2 things about the place i live in.since moving here..
    1st.is it aint air tight.
    2nd.steam from boiling water goes up through tthe ventahood.and that tells me.so does the smell of food..and that's with it turned off.

that means i need to tape off the doors and whatever to make them air tight. and remove the screen from the ventahood. then close it off.but that's while im still able to cook indoors.and on my gas stove.to using my camp stove.

Atlas likes this.
  5. twp

We live in a multi-unit apt complex and I can smell the cooking from other units, especially when we have the furnace running, which pulls air from outside. If we run the fume hood over the oven, it sprays the smell out the roof vent for everyone to notice and at the same time, it draws air from any small cracks in our doors and windows.

If SHTF and we lose electricity, I don't want to try cooking inside the apt. But at the same time, we would need to use a fire, outside the apt, if we needed to actually cook the food. I vote for cold, but pre-cooked food, but the other half gets cold easily and wants hot food. Unless they hear gunfire, I don't see an easy solution.

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  6. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

gun fire is a good idea.especially if you have electronic device's that can sound like gun shots.they'll probably keep the unwanted away if you have enough of them.and if their straticly located.but getting them to fire or what when needed.will be the ticky part

Atlas likes this.
  7. twp

My reference to "gun fire" was because it might take that to convince my sig. other that Prepping has a purpose. I get some pushback when I try to discuss reasons why I Prep. It raises fears which they are not ready to face...
    I will persevere.:rolleyes:

Atlas and jimLE like this.