1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article- Electric Disturbance Events, what is the public allowed to know?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

This is some eye opening info here.

I'm posting this to the public side so that those who haven't become members yet can read this article.

https://michaelmabee.info/electric-disturbance-events/

Take note of how this disturbances happen. There all have been far more of both physical attacks and cyber attacks on the grid than most people realise.

jdp and Punty like this.
  2. Atlas

Punty likes this.
  3. Atlas

Please note that in the second article they talk about making the switch to a military version of the cloud.

Doh!

twp and Punty like this.
  4. Punty

Punty Active Member

This is great stuff.

I have for years been of the mind that the collapse of the electrical grid is the most likely nation wide crisis event, and the most devastating, short of outright nuclear annihilation, which I don't concern myself with....for a variety of reasons.

I have always paid close attention to the Gridex Exercises, as well as related exercises such as Jade Helm, which I believe are all indicators that the defense related portions of our government consider a grid down scenario as possibly the greatest threat, also, and are preparing for it.

jdp, twp and Atlas like this.
  5. twp

twp Search with DuckDuckGo.com Staff Member

RE grid down, the large transformers on the main trunk feeds have long been noted, publicly, as the biggest problem if the grid fails. They have no spares and the construction time to build each is at least many months if not years.

I have not read anything about any US based facilities to build these transformers... Why is that?

While it is possible that there is a government program in place to rebuild those transformers, and the rest of the grid, I don't think we can rely on government to act on this. I've not read anything about private enterprise having this capability either. Who built the original grid (was it... Aliens?) and where were those transformers built?

jdp and Atlas like this.
  6. Atlas

My *guess* is that we actually do manufacture them here, it is just kept secret for security reasons.

The reason why I say this is that PG&E is replacing quite a few poles and transformers in my area right now. I asked a lineman the other day what the reasoning was. His reply was something along the lines with "way over due" and some factory ramped up production recently. I asked him where they were coming from he said by train from the east, but he didn't know where. He guessed flyover country.

twp likes this.
  7. twp

If those were steel towers, I bet on a manufacturer closer to the rust belt states where the ore foundries are located.

Re the transformers, I know we have the technology to build the really large models. The technology is not different from the smaller models you can see in every town. But the word I read is that they are significantly more work to assemble, transport and install. I hope we do have some "secure" facilities ready and already in operation, but who knows for sure?

Atlas likes this.
  8. Punty

Punty Active Member

To the best of my knowledge, and I have done some research including a copy of the congressional EMP report....we do not make the main transformers, the really big ones, in the United States, they are imported from China, and they each take about 5 years to manufacture.

This is from public information, current as of about 5 years ago.

I know there was a program instituted to being buying and warehousing some of these transformers....but I do not know if the funding was there for it...they are billions of dollars.

jdp and Atlas like this.
  9. twp

Hmmmm... Guess we'll have to wait until they finish building the wall. Then they can buy more transformers...:rolleyes:

Atlas likes this.
  10. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Active Member

Declare the power grid a military essential asset. That gives the .gov the "right" (like they did with the Interstate Highway system) to spend money on it.

11. Atlas

I read somewhere that no current military bases in the US are off grid. Only that they have the capability of supplying power for a short period of time, but they still rely on the grid. This seems like a tactical error.

twp likes this.
  12. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Active Member

WB edited to specific:
    Big time

13. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

I read recently (a few months ago) that a plant is being refurbished to build the large transformers here in the US. I cannot remember where I read it, and the article did not say where the plant was.

Also, I do not think it takes five years to manufacture the transformers, but it can take five years from ordering to delivery due to the backlog of orders.

I believe this to be accurate.

Just my opinion.

jdp, Punty, Atlas and 1 other person like this.
  14. Punty

Punty Active Member

Yeah, that's probably correct. 5 years from order to delivery.

I expect that from a manufacturing point of view, building one of those large transformers is probably equivalent to building a naval vessel.

15. twp

jdp, Atlas and Punty like this.
  16. Punty

Punty Active Member

Besides, if there is no grid, there is effectively no money, and no monetary system. Not for government....it's all just 0's and 1's in a machine. The vast majority of US dollars has no physical form whatsoever.

How do you order and pay for things like that when all of your money was in a hard drive that got wiped?

jdp and Atlas like this.
  17. twp

@Punty, the question then becomes: Who will organize the rebuilding of the electric grid?

jdp and Punty like this.
  18. Punty

Punty Active Member

China, or whomever moves in after the EMP attack. It'll be easy pickins.

All they have to do is hit us with the EMP, wait 18 months or so, then just move in when half or more of the population is dead, and the other half begging for assistance, which the new government will provide, and make themselves saviors. They may have to blockade to prevent other nations from providing assistance for that first 18 months, but that's it.

They provide aid, begin rebuilding, and all Americans become Chinese-Americans, or American-Chinese I guess it would be, and love their new masters.

jdp and Atlas like this.
  19. twp

While that scenario has been laid out in books and movies, it needs to acknowledge the opposition which will still exist in any country hit by a man-made EMP attack. Even a severe solar CME might (perhaps, maybe) hit half of the globe. The other half remains functional...

I remain optimistic, even post event, that we, the US as a country, can recover even while under attack. It might take longer, but it will happen.

jdp, Punty and Atlas like this.
  20. Punty

Punty Active Member

There will be no money, no communications, no employment, no clean water, no medical facilities, nothing. Half or most people will be dead after 18 months.
    Your optimism is laudable, but not plausible.
    Even die hard patriotic gunslingers will have their hands full just trying to keep their family alive, the remaining half of their family, anyway.

I sincerely hope that I am the deluded one, and not you.;)

jdp and Atlas like this.