1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - Choosing A Respirator

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Mar 13, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

I think Respirators have a place in the gear of all Preppers.

This article, by Spice at 3BY, gives the basics of what to look for. These are NOT fancy gear, but they are designed to be better than simple dust filters.

http://beansbulletsbandagesandyou.com/bullets/2019/03/14/choosing-respirator/

Yes, you can get gear which is designed to offer even more protection than what is discussed in this article. The question to ask is: For what do I need this? Serious question because your use might well require a more complete protection, for instance, do you live near a Nuclear Power Station? Do you expect to need full NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) protection? You need to determine what is the best option for your expected needs.

So read the article and see what Spice has to say about one level of Respirator protection. Expect to do some research on this...

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  2. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

I don't think they mentioned care a whole lot. I was trained for supplied air, fit testing, and air filtration just an FYI. Worked in highly toxic and explosive environments throughout my construction career.

Just a quick couple things to keep in the back of your mind.
    - don't remove filters from packages before intended use. (I believe the article mentioned that)
    - inspect before storage for cracking and dry rot. A small amount of vaseline can keep rubber components from cracking and splitting, and also help to reduce irritation to your skin in the presence of ash and dust.
    - carry a razor if you are able to grow facial hair. The mask will not protect you adequately if not sealed perfectly against your skin.
    - place your hand over the air intake, if the mask vacuum seals to your face with no indication of a draft you are good to go.
    Repeat this step as you move your head side to side and up and down to ensure good fit and sealing.
    Clean the mask before and after use with an antibacterial wipe.

Atlas likes this.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Some key points on respirators.

If you aren't clean shaven they will not seal repeatedly. Vaseline on a beard is not a trick that works in real life.

They come in several sizes, and those are not universal amongst brands. Do not assume that one will fit without trying it on first.

Different brands use different mounts for the cartridges and they are for the most part not interchangeable. If you buy a certain brand of mask, buy the same brand of cartridges.

You will not wear a respirator non stop for long periods of time. An hour is a long run. If you are exercising they will add to the effort it takes to get oxygen to your body, so keep that in mind.

Also, remember that you cannot drink or eat with one of these on. That will become an issue quick in many instances.

It's best to think of these as a temporary fix to a bad air problem, not a solution. Having a good place to take it off is always the first thing you need to think about before you even put them on.