1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - Catastrophic Flooding In The Midwest Could Last For Months, And That Is Going To Mean A Dr

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

I've got jars from my mum that are older than me and still good. although for sentimental reasons I don't use them for canning anymore, rather storing dehydrated food.
    As long as the rims of the jars are sound and chip free, you are good to go. I would msybe test them in the pressure canner for a 20 minute session just to make sure they are good.

twp, Atlas, hypnos and 1 other person like this.
  2. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

Atlas and twp like this.
  3. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

RE labels for jars. Look at your local printer supply source. They sell small peel and stick labels. You can either pre-print them on a laser printer or use a marking pen.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Atlas and jimLE like this.
  4. Sally Rudd

That's what I do @twp. I use a marker pen to write the info on the lid.

Atlas and twp like this.
  5. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I do that too.

twp likes this.
  6. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

twp and Atlas like this.
  7. twp

I'm also reading some warnings about the California agriculture region, mostly the San Joaquin Valley, due to the expected melt of the Sierra Mountain snowpack. I can see it from my window and it is not yet begun got melt.

Also remember the Oroville dam in California. It was supposedly repaired but this will be the first test of those repairs. The reports mentioned that the earth fill dam showed some signs of leakage through the earth fill portion of the dam. Keep an eye on this this spring.

Stock up on food, just in case.

jimLE likes this.
  8. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

i got to thinking earlyer.a good deal of the water of the flooded state's will be flowing to the gulf.and here i am between the flood and the gulf.im sitting on high ground.but yet.there's low lying area's around me.and all of them is at least within a 10 mile radius.and 1 of them is a part of a creek.and they stay flooded year round..chances are.i might not have to worry about any of them.but yet their something to keep a eye on.

jdp, Atlas and twp like this.
  9. twp

@jimLE Do you have access to your county records on flooding in the area? If nothing else it might help plan an escape route.

jdp and Atlas like this.
  10. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

i haven't. had anything to do with the county records.but starting at the library should prove as a good start.

11. Atlas

You might be in a much better place than those on the Mississippi River @jimLE. I hear its raging right now.

twp likes this.
  12. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

yeah it and one other.but yet ditches and creeks flow out from them.there's a creek that runs through the property i moved from.in which it's changed quiet abit in the last 2 or 3 years due to higher then normal water levels. and there was a water fall at one section at one time.this is a creek with red hard packed dirt with pea size gravel mixed in.any how.it's just a matter of waiting n seeing how things go.

13. jdp

jdp Well-Known Member

The weather is turning warmer now. We are watching the snow pack and its run-off with trepidation. We fear the worst is yet to come.

14. twp

Strangely, pork prices are down here in Reno right now. So we grabbed some. Haven't decided what to do with it, but I'd like to put some into long term storage form, perhaps dehydrated.

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  15. Sally Rudd

Atlas likes this.
  16. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

just saw something about food prices food chain grocery stores.and a web site.in which their in a food price war.so we "might" see prices come down..then i came across this..

Trump Threatens to Blow Up the U.S. Economy

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2019/04/02/trump-threatens-to-blow-up-the-u-s-economy/

Atlas likes this.
  17. Atlas

Only time will tell on that one. Prices seem to be rising at their usual rate here, for now.

jimLE likes this.
  18. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

Atlas likes this.
  19. twp

Thank You Sally! Added to my recipe docs. Still need jars...

Atlas likes this.
  20. twp

This is a case of who blinks first. I think (opinion) that Trump expects Mexico to act to stop the Illegal Immigrants either before they enter Mexico at their southern border, or within Mexico before they reach the US border. There has to be some potential for economic pain to Mexico in order for this happen. So far, nothing the US had done has made Mexico (and its President) respond again the caravans. In fact, I suspect that money is flowing into Mexico to facilitate those caravans (witness the buses and trucks being used to transport them right up the our border. The name of Soros has been mentioned more than once in this respect.

Watch this in the next couple of weeks as the next wave of caravan arrives.

jimLE and Atlas like this.