1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - Catastrophic Flooding In The Midwest Could Last For Months, And That Is Going To Mean A Dr

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Mar 23, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Full title:
    Catastrophic Flooding In The Midwest Could Last For Months, And That Is Going To Mean A Dramatic Drop In U.S. Food Production

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/cata...a-dramatic-drop-in-u-s-food-production_032019

I'm posting this on the public side of the forum so more people will see it.

This is why we keep Prepper food stocks... The warning is clear; expect low food harvest this year and perhaps future years.

You may treat this as a FUD scare tactic if you want, but a Proper Prepper Procedure is to both increase your food stores, now, and plan on growing as much of your own food as possible.

If the food shortage occurs, then expect higher prices at stores. It is not just vegetable crops which may be impacted. Meat production requires food stocks also. Do note the warning that there has been a large loss in herds as animals are drowned in the floods.

Plans? Got some?

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  2. twp

Atlas and soyer38301 like this.
  3. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

yeah I've been hearing about the flooding. and expect the price's to go up.i plan on buying up some frozen vegetable's in the bag.then can them when i get the canning jar's.

twp and Atlas like this.
  4. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

After the opposite happened here last year, (drought) as I mentioned in another thread, I didn't see shortages as such, but the vegetables on offer have been on the small side and both the veg and meat has definitely gone up in price as farmers were supplementing the grazing their beasts had with winter fodder from early July. Normally they would not have been feeding until maybe the end of September/beginning October.
    The opposite surely seems it could happen with wash-out weather. In as much as the food will not grow at all or rot, and fodder crops could be worst hit as you can't make hay or silage in wet weather and grain crops will not germinate. So rather than starting to feed the beasts early, the fodder may not be there at all because of crop failure.
    Also if you think about it, it takes a couple of years to recover from such a disaster, so I expect this year to be an expensive one for food as well.

And don't even get me started on 'Global Warming'! A Professor of mine once said.." Global Warming: the best smoke and mirrors trick since Maskelyne made the Suez Canal disappear in WW2!" Keep the plebs attention diverted over the something the planet does anyway and they can do little about, whilst hiding the real problem of world pollution by big business. As usual, we just need to follow the money. I could go on, but I haven't had a cup of coffee yet.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    soyer38301, Atlas, twp and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

@jimLE Have you canned frozen veg before? how did it turn out. It's something I've not done so would be grateful for the insight.

twp and Atlas like this.
  6. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

unless you wanna include my soups.only vegetable I've canned so far is carrots. and the turned out pretty good.just have to add a lil bit of salt with each time when i some of one batch.on account the taste aint quiet right

Atlas and twp like this.
  7. twp

@jimLE You're saying you needed salt, but only to adjust the taste, not as part of the canning process?

I try not to use added salt in my cooking because most of our canned (commercial) vegies already have a lot of added salt. I would also Not add salt to fresh vegetables in the canning process. Salt can be added to the final dish when it is served. One exception is if you are salt canning (brining), for example making sauerkraut or salt packing meats.

All of the above applies to our current situation (Not SHTF). If a crisis happens, then added salt may be a benefit if we are forced to be physically active to survive. If you must work a garden and/or manage lifestock, expect to sweat more and need more salt in the diet.

Atlas likes this.
  8. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

i don't use salt in everyday cooking or in my canning when i don't have to for 2 reasons. 1st everyone has their prefrence of salt intake.2nd i never know when i might come across someone that might be allergic to it.a 3rd reason came to mind.some folk's have to watch their salt intake due to health reason(s)..but yet i will add salt during the cooking process if it's nessery.take canning pickle's for example.i'll add the salt the recipe calls for so they'll turn out right.

Atlas and twp like this.
  9. twp

Yes, pickling (brining) is what I was talking about. I do stock lots of salt, both iodized and Un-iodized, just for this purpose.

Atlas and jimLE like this.
  10. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

I've canned plenty of fresh vegetables, but never thought to can frozen. Was just wondering what the end product was like and whether it would be better than dehydrating.

Atlas, jimLE and twp like this.
  11. twp

I've not tried to can frozen vegies, so I can't speak to how they turn out. Perhaps someone else can address this here?

I think dehydrating has a major advantage in both storage lifetime and in less weight (if you need to move it or take it with you when you move).

Atlas likes this.
  12. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

I like dehydrated veg for the same reasons twp. Home canned fresh veg is great, I might just canning a bag of something frozen then open it to see what it's like.

Atlas, jimLE and twp like this.
  13. twp

@Sally Rudd please do and report back on your results. I'm not quite ready to do canning yet, I have a canner now, but need jars and lids.

14. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

yeah.buying canner jar's etc etc can take time to stock up on.when you have to take your time with it.a still need to buy more jar's

Atlas and twp like this.
  15. twp

I'm waiting for jars/lids to come on sale, hopefully in the spring, assuming the economy doesn't nosedive before then...

16. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

Yep building up a good stock of jars has been the expensive bit for me as I pay for a couple of jars what you chaps pay for a dozen:eek: I now have about 200+. Make sure you buy in plenty of spare sealing discs too. I was given a dozen tattler lids (the re-usable type) to try but I had one blow out. If I hadn't had a cloth over the jar as I was tightening the lid I would have had a face full of super-heated Apricots and I haven't had the courage to use them since for canning.:(

twp and jimLE like this.
  17. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

Don't forget the lables if you use them instead of a marker.i find them at only 1 place this time of year.

twp and Atlas like this.
  18. twp

I sometimes see canning jars for sale at "yard sales" and the price is much better than new. But it is a hit-or-miss chance of finding them.

Atlas likes this.
  19. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

yeah.I've seen um at yard sales as well.and there was times i didn't buy um on account they had a chip in the thread or where ever.

Atlas and twp like this.
  20. twp

If the chip was only on the thread and not the rim, I'd still buy them.

Atlas likes this.