1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - Bridging the Gap Between Younger and Older Preppers: Overcoming Misconceptions & Getting S

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Jul 11, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Full Title:
    Bridging the Gap Between Younger and Older Preppers: Overcoming Misconceptions & Getting Started On The Path to Preparedness

https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/br...-getting-started-on-the-path-to-preparedness/

So, Get Off My Lawn Punk! Start Prepping, even if only in the smallest ways, at first.

Pass this article on to someone who appears to be looking into Prepping. I find that most people, of all ages, are now aware of the term "Prepping". They may not know enough about it and they may even have a negative opinion (thanks to those awful TV shows), but they are simply open to hearing more about Prepping.

Yes, this is proselytizing for Prepping, but the other option is to say nothing and go away... This is why this site exists and why I am here. Remember to exercise Operational Security (OPSEC) and don't give away your own security, but DO listen for hints that someone is interested in Prepping.

It is a slow process, getting a "newbie" to be aware of Prepping. Sometimes it will fail and you NEED to walk away, for your own safety. Sometimes you will find receptive minds...

And please, Don't wear a shirt and tie... That image has been tarnished enough already by other proselytizers (you know to whom I refer). By the same token, wearing a MAGA hat is also counter-indicated, unless the other person wears one too or you're not in the US...

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I'm actually surprised how many young people I run into who are not only aware of prepping, but are also totally fine with it. I believe this comes from video games, but it might also have something to do with YouTube.

hypnos and twp like this.
  3. twp

I'm not meeting many whom I would call young. Some are in there late 20's or older but none younger than that. I don't think I'm willing to go out with the intent of finding those who are younger than that. I don't want to be accused of "stalking"...

It depends on where your social life happens...

hypnos likes this.
  4. Atlas

My kids are teenagers.....

hypnos and twp like this.
  5. twp

And they're already Preppers. They don't count as newbies, but I'll give you a gold star anyway...:D

6. Atlas

Well, maybe their friends are too then? I guess birds of a feather.

hypnos likes this.
  7. twp

Let's hope you've taught your kids about OPSEC...:D

8. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Active Member

OPSEC is important.

I remember an episode of Happy Days where Mr. C was going to have a Bomb Shelter built in their backyard.

Ritchie being a typical teenager tells the girl he was dating that if it came to it, it'd be up to them to help repopulate the earth.
    A couple of scenes later the girl is asking Ritchie that if they broke up, could she bring her current boyfriend with her to the shelter.
    OPSEC failure.

Atlas, hypnos and twp like this.
  9. Punty

Punty Active Member

I've said it before but I'll repeat it. The message I use when people ask me about prepping, usually the skeptical sheeple types. "I insure myself against disaster. I am my own first responder. That's my plan. What's yours? The Katrina plan? (Wait for government assistance)."

Atlas, hypnos and twp like this.
  10. twp

@Punty, I would not be so confrontational because it could lead to an argument and ill will were it is not intended. (unless you want to push the other person away from the line of thought).

I'm ok with turning the question around: "what's your plan?" That can tell you if they are serious or just looking for someone who has "stuff", with the intent of coming back later to take that "stuff" from you.

There is a fine line to first conversations about Prepping and I've not had enough of them to see any common ways to handle it. OPSEC comes first, because you must protect yourself and your family/group.

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  11. Punty

Punty Active Member

I don't bring it up unless someone asks, and nobody asks without an agenda. Not me, anyway.

If they are genuine, I am always happy to to talk, and generally direct them to https://www.ready.gov/ for help. Sheeple types are instantly reassured if you have a government entity to point them to, so that helps.

I have several times passed off a "list of concerns" for people...rather than talk gear, I tell them the areas they need to think about how to address in an emergency;

Food
    Water
    Shelter
    Fire
    Medication
    Protection

Plus, a way to make these things portable in case they need to evacuate. Sure....these are simplistic...but I think most folks just aren't sure where to begin, so giving them areas of "problems to solve" sort of gets them going and thinking. Yeah, there are other things like signalling and navigation...but best to keep it short and simple early on, I believe.

My experience is that online, there are people with genuine interest wand want to know, but in real life, I think people are afraid of being lumped in with the TV Preppers, so they mock it defensively.

Atlas likes this.
  12. hypnos

hypnos Moderator Staff Member

That's a good point. There's a number of "wolves" , out there building their own virtual inventory, with all of your stuff in their minds.

One of my old shooting buddies and I were having a discussion one day. He isn't a prepper, but the subject of WROL came up organically.

We drove past a property, nice place, looked like wealthy people that had "stuff" lived there.
    He turns to me and says, "there's nothing to stop you or me from just taking it....I'd just take it."

I felt a sinking feeling, it's sort of sad when you become close enough to a person in friendship, that they expose their core, and it is opposite of what you thought. I did believe deep down he was a good guy, I was wrong about him.

That mentality is by no means rare, and it's one of the reasons I believe that when something big eventually does happen, the aftershocks people like that generate will simply prevent things from going back to normal, at least until they are all dealt with.

Put a guy like that in charge of 10 heavily armed men.... absolute savagery.

twp, Atlas and Punty like this.
  13. Punty

Punty Active Member

Rule of Law keeps a lot of savagery under control....if it disappears, even temporarily, there are hordes of people who will take advantage of opportunity...we see that everywhere Ferguson, Katrina. There are wolves that will take advantage and join the mob to use it as cover for hooliganism, destruction, and violence.

History shows that "civilization" is fragile and has a thin veneer. The more people become dependent on the benefits of civilized society, the more sensitive that society is to unravelling in a hurry and devolving. For example...in rural areas, people can get along just fine for the most part if local government breaks down for awhile. On the other hand...in urban areas, where people literally depend on goods and services being imported and provded, it is a time bomb the moment distribution and Rule of Law breaks down.

twp and hypnos like this.
  14. Atlas

twp and hypnos like this.
  15. Atlas

I've found that the best way to handle it is to listen more than talk. If someone brings up prepping in any way I listen and answer in the most Yoda way possible.

Punty, twp and hypnos like this.
  16. twp

Wise you are...

Atlas and Punty like this.