1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - A Modest Privacy Protection Proposal

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Oct 4, 2018.

1. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Some useful ideas in this article:

A Modest Privacy Protection Proposal – Jameson Lopp – Medium

This is a long article and contains many options and methods for changing your personal privacy environment, both online and offline.

There are links in the article for additional charts and analysis of various online tools. You may find it useful to follow those links and evaluate the tools you may be using right now. I found some of the charts rather difficult to use, but mouse around and try the various sorting options to locate your tools.

We live in an increasingly controlled and monitored world so it makes some sense, to me, to learn what can be done to build your own privacy firewall.

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  2. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

Privacy and security is something I've always taken seriously and I try to be circumspect when I'm online. When my life finally returns to normal I'll have a good read.

Atlas likes this.
  3. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Sally; Normal? You have a normal setting for life? Please, tell me where to find it! :D

I expect most of the article can be applied to countries outside the US. Certainly the online discussion is worldwide and the credit/banking system has long been global.

I was very interested in the use of alternate identities for both online work and with credit cards and gift cards. Cash is becoming more difficult to use, at least here in the US. Small purchases are still possible, but anything which is more than a few hundred dollars is looked at with suspicion...

I saw nothing about using barter and trade which I think are good ways to avoid the tracking systems that compromise our privacy.

Atlas likes this.
  4. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

LOL, I hear ya. I'll let you know if I ever find normal again, I know I had it somewhere!:D:D

The one thing I have always made a point of NOT doing is using the same one or two online names for everything. It is stupid and dangerous. You become far too easy to track and it's scary how simple it is to follow the breadcrumbs and put together an alarming amount of personal details. It gives me the shivers thinking about how much can be gleaned. You have to get your mindset out of your local area as the internet is global anyone can read things, not just the people you are engaging with, but that lovely Prince from Sudan who wants to share his wealth and the attractive Russian wanting to be your new partner too!!o_O:D

Atlas likes this.