1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - A Magic Word For Your Group

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Feb 18, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Please thank Spice at Beans, Bullets, Bandages and You for this article.
    This makes so much sense to me, how about you?

http://beansbulletsbandagesandyou.com/bullets/2019/02/18/magic-word/

I know people who cannot accept command mode voice when directed at them. They are a danger to me when I'm around them because of that mental attitude. Needless to say, they are not part of my trusted acquaintances.

The big assumption is that there is an element of trust within and between members of a group, whether they are a Prepper group, pick-nick group or just family. Look at your groups and ask if they offer that trust and if they also trust you...

jimLE, hypnos and Atlas like this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I've had a couple of attempts at both starting and joining prepper groups in the past. None worked out for long at all. They all failed for similar reasons, mostly centered around people suffering from prepper burnout. One larger group I ran across was poorly managed and the amount of behind the back talking about group members was astounding. After all these years I came to realize that my family is my best asset, and are also the best group I could hope for.

As for the article, I think it's a good read. Thank you for posting it up.

jimLE, hypnos and twp like this.
  3. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

I have had the same issue, some people are very "hardcore" some have different ideas of what prepping is and what to prep for. For a while I had at least made an effort with two close friends to have some standardized arms, Ar15, glock 19 being two of them. But they had more or less thought of prepping/bug out bags as having a duffle bag full of ammo and nothing else...probably not a great plan. Interest in any realistic training was marginal at best. Mutual aid wasn't a dependable concept although I know I did my part. In time our friendships fell apart over petty things, in an actual emergency I have no doubt i would be better off alone. Prepping since then seems more like a jigsaw puzzle, and you don't particularly want or need a team of people to do it, seems it may be more counter productive than anything else.

Atlas likes this.
  4. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

I'll continue to advocate a neighborhood watch, as for prepping groups etc, i have zero faith in them at least for myself.

Atlas likes this.
  5. Atlas

I 100% agree. I try pretty hard to keep on the good side of all my neighbors and firmly believe that they are going to be the ones who I will be working with in quite a few scenarios.

That being said, rural living vs city living might be two different things.

hypnos likes this.
  6. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Yes definitely, i would go out on a limb and say if you can't have a discussion with your neighbors you may want to relocate.

Atlas and jimLE like this.
  7. twp

Lest this thread miss the point of the original article: The use of a special word/phrase which is intended AND agreed upon to immediately hold the attention of people in the area because of an Imminent danger to one or more of those people.

As described in the article, this word/phrase is NOT a sudden shout of alarm. It is more likely to be delivered in a quiet voice, audible only to those who know the significance of the word/phrase.

Do you, as a group or individually, have such an alert word/phrase?
    If you do, have you ever used it in a real life situation?

We, in our household (two people) DO NOT have such a word/phrase.

8. Atlas

That is a good idea, and it works especially well for close friends and significant others. I guess where I was going with my initial reply is that I dont know how this would work in a larger group. They seem to compartmentalize.

9. twp

@Atlas, I'd agree, this technique; "magic" words, would seem to work best in a small group who are within range of a quiet voice. The intent is to alert to a dangerous situation (a threat) without also alerting the possible threat or drawing the attention of that threat object. It is not shouting "FIRE" in a crowded theater but rather a shorthand communication directed at those who need to know.

The author went out of their way to NOT state their own "magic" word. Those are specific to those who need to use them.

If anyone feels this technique would work with their "group" (two or more people) then it is a simple matter to decide, between the members, on a word. Practice this in non-threatening situations to ensure that the neural pathway is established in each person.

I'll give an example which works for me. Say my name. I have a "neural pathway" which is almost always "listening" for that particular word. It is not a "magic" word, but it will get my attention which is the intent of a "magic" word. A real "magic" word would also make me stop, look and listen under the assumption that a threat is imminent.

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  10. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Challenge phrases is what they are called in a military context i believe , my brother taught me about them when he would be cooperating in raiding missions with other units not part of his. Saying a phrase like Mickey! To which the prearranged response was Minnie! Useful for clearing buildings where you could be seperate from your unit members also.

Atlas likes this.
  11. Atlas

Challenge words are good. In my line of work we simply use a phrase that makes no sense. Like "we have a visitor here at the pond, will you please get mr Robinson?" When there is no pond or Mr Robinson the alarm bells ring silently.