1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - 8 Ways To Quickly and Frugally Build Up Your Food Stockpiles and Pantry

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, May 5, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

This article is a good starting point for new Preppers. In our current society, stockpiling is looking more and more like a Necessity, not just a good idea.

https://www.livinglifeinruraliowa.com/2019/05/8-ways-to-quickly-and-frugally-build-up.html

DO NOTE the comment about being careful at Costco and Sam's Club. Prices may not always be the lowest in your neighborhood. We use Sam's Club for many foods because they're available in larger units at slightly better prices, usually... YMMV . Always use cash to avoid leaving a paper trail back to you.

We Don't have Aldi's here, nor really any good alternative. We avoid Safeway like the plague because nothing is on sale without using a "club card" and losing our privacy.

We do have several grocery stores, larger chain stores and groceries which cater to Hispanic foods. Their prices are variable and we only use them if they have a sale event. We get a weekly set of flyers in the mailbox which helps to track prices and sales. Some stores also have a website where prices are posted, but I tend not to use the Internet for shopping, particularly for food items.

If you are a Prepper, and buy in quantity, I advise avoiding the use of Amazon because it costs you your privacy to place orders or to have items delivered. I don't want to have my account stand out because I might buy in large quantities... --> This Guy Is A Prepper!

2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Winco is where to go. No cards or registration or membership.

@DeanB this is a good article for you to take a look at!

twp likes this.
  3. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

I like Winco, we have two in Reno, but they are outside of our easy travel range (foot, bike, bus). If I take the bike with trailer, one of us must guard the trailer (me) while the other shops. I'm good for about a three mile radius with a loaded bike trailer. The bus limits how much we can carry by hand and a small luggage dolly. Foot travel is the slowest and smallest radius of travel for shopping, fortunately we have Sam's and Walmart in close range.

Atlas likes this.
  4. jimLE

jimLE Active Member

the only way i'll buy any dented can food.is by accident or im gonna recan it.on account id rather not take a chance with um.

Atlas and twp like this.
  5. DeanB

DeanB Member

I did check out the article, well thought out and especially the part about gleaning, which I probably wouldn't have thought of.

Atlas likes this.
  6. Atlas

Do you have Winco stores in your area?

7. DeanB

DeanB Member

No, but I do have a Sam's club nearby. SO I do use them after determining if the prices are actually do represent savings.

Atlas likes this.
  8. Atlas

It is always good to check, because I have found that it isn't always cheaper. do you Do any canning?

9. DeanB

DeanB Member

No, I don't do any canning.

Atlas likes this.
  10. jimLE

jimLE Active Member

Your missing out on good eating then.and enjoyment as well..I've been home canning on a small scale a few years now.im not only eating what i can.but i beleave it's better for me.especially if you include store bought canned foods of any kind.

Atlas likes this.
  11. DeanB

DeanB Member

jimLE, twp and Atlas like this.
  12. Atlas

twp likes this.
  13. DeanB

DeanB Member

Your welcome. I just found the site and thought it had a number of good articles with good information.

Atlas and twp like this.
  14. jimLE

jimLE Active Member

I'm planning on shopping at heb next month instead of Walmart..on account i plan on mostly buying meat.and some vegables in the produce section..then some roaming around for other good deals.they also have in store coupons as you enter the store.in which that'll be a extra savings for me..

twp likes this.
  15. Atlas

HEB are great stores. I wish we had them here.