1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - 12 Ways to Attract Bees to Your Garden

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by twp, Jul 7, 2018.

1. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

You will need bees for your garden... Understatement of the year.

Some good advice here and even if you do not currently have a garden (like me), these tips should go into your prepper document archives.

12 Ways to Attract Bees to Your Garden

I've never kept bees, even back when I had a few acres of garden. I relied on "fly by" bees to visit me.

Now, I think it a very good idea for each gardener to keep a hive or two or three to supplement the work of "outside labor force". This is insurance in case something happens in your area which reduces or removes the native bee population. Consider a wildfire which might destroy the been colonies for some distance from your garden.

2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

twp likes this.
  3. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I was aware of them but don't know how well they work compared to domestic honey bees as pollinators.

I'd guess that having both would be good insurance for anyone with a garden.

4. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I believe that Mason bees are native to North America, where the honey bee was brought in my Europeans. I also believe that they are far more efficient at pollinating, since they do not make honey.

Here is a good read on them.
    Mason Bees - The Honeybee Conservancy

twp likes this.