1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - 10 Tests, Exercises, and Games to Heighten Your Senses and Situational

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Nov 5, 2018.

1. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Some good advice (IMO) on how to use our five basic senses and how to learn to use them.

Increase Your Situational Awareness: 10 Exercises & Tests | The Art of Manliness

Needless to say, this takes practice and the willingness to try different ways of thinking.

There is a simple visual test at the top of this article, a picture, and questions after you have studied that picture for 60 seconds. Sure, you can cheat and scroll down, but it is a simple test of how observant you are right now. There is no wrong answers, but definitely an opportunity to measure your awareness.

The ten exercises/games are intended to show you how to stretch your current sensory "muscles" and learn which are being used in your day-to-day life. My personal weak point is my hearing. At my age, I no longer can separate words from a rapid speaker and need to ask them to slow down and enunciate. I think I still recognize particular sounds (tire screeching, growling, animal noises) but speech requires more mental processing and time. If you don't (yet) have this problem, get back to me when your my age...

Visually, I need glasses to see far objects. There are exercises (not in the article) to at least partially compensate for this. They do work, but need regular practice to obtain AND RETAIN the benefits.

My sense of smell is ok, for a human, but it is something which I seldom put to a test. When I'm outside of our apartment, new smells are perceptible for a short time, but unless I "key" in on a particular smell, my mind will filter it out and it goes away. Your mileage may vary.

The sense of touch is my best, most developed sense. I am frequently doing manual tasks which require close attention to texture and feel so I get regular practice.

Taste is still a working sense for me. It is closely related to sense of smell. I like cooking, so this gives me practice at some kinds of flavors.

So, how active are your five senses? After reading the article, you may find that some of the test and exercises will allow you to concentrate on your weaker senses. If you put this in the context of a useful prepper skill, it may motivate you to do regular practice...

Hope this helps some of you.

Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I feel like I am fairly good at being aware of my situation, mostly because of my work and training. It is really good to have little reminders like this every now and then. I really enjoyed this article.