1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are all hobbies dead?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

It seems like the idea of having a hobby is totally lost anymore. How many people that you know have ANY type of hobby?

When is the last time you talked with someone who collected coins or stamps or dolls or anything for that matter?

It's been a long time since I have.

jimLE likes this.
  2. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

It's been decades. Now I do websites, computers and peripheral devices. We also do knitting/crochet crafts as a money source.

I really don't do anything which I would classify as a "hobby". My prepping isn't done as recreation either.

jimLE likes this.
  3. Atlas

It must be a sign of the times.

jimLE likes this.
  4. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

Well,,, you chaps HAVE been talking to a coin collector... ME!! I collect a couple of types of coins.
    I also, knit and sew for pleasure. My son paints models, races radio controlled cars and also collects coins(it's in the blood!)
    I don't think I could get through the winter without knitting and sewing.

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  5. Atlas

That is very good to hear @Sally Rudd! I was sort of playing devils advocate on this one. Things are just changing, and some times it looks worse than it feels. I don't see kids with baseball cards any more, but I definitely see kids fishing in the local holes. I guess it just depends where you look.

6. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Used (past tense) to collect coins, silver and copper but I gave up when the "sandwich" designs and copper plated zinc started replacing our older coins. Don't know what happened to my collection, lost in one of many moves... If I did it now, it would be as a prepper task, concentrating on Gold and Silver "junk" coins.