Any Deisel experts out there?

soyer38301

Was making the trip back to Indiana from Illinois today. We stopped to stretch and use the facilities. Got back in the truck and it won't turn over. Clicks but nothing.

2008 gmc sierra hd duramax.

Batteries look good. Put a meter on them and they were ar 13.2 and 13.3 volts.

Where to start? Starter?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

twp

Admin, Make DuckDuckGo.com Your Search Engine.
Staff member
Check starter first.
Do you have road service insurance?
Do you have cellphone access at that location? I guess you do because you sent this message.
Get a tow to the closest mechanic (assuming they are open).
Keep us informed, please.

soyer38301

I was thinking starter. I actually sent the text from home. I have to go back (1-1/2 hr drive..yuck). Was finishing moving the dome parts back, had more than would fit in our trailer and rented truck.

One of my sons friends that was helping us offered his trailer. He came with us, but had to work today (Friday) so we had to get him here so he could turn around and drive back.

I will let you know what it turns out to be.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions: twp

twp

Admin, Make DuckDuckGo.com Your Search Engine.
Staff member
Back in the day, we would smack the starter relay with a hammer, several times. The relay can become bound with rust or dirt and hitting it sometimes would allow it to slide and make contact to deliver power to the starter.

I read the link from Atlas and see that that is advised by the reply comments.

soyer38301

Tried that the night we left it to no avail.

Will be heading that way in the morning. Had to rent a car as we could not use the wifes work vehicle for that long a drive. If I can't get it started we will be going back to Joliet to get our other truck that has a goose hitch and being it back to get the trailer home.

Should have an update tomorrow.

Thanks.