1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a rise in price's for tomatoes

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by jimLE, May 13, 2019 at 5:59 AM.

1. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

it turns out that trump put a tariff on tomatoes from Mexico. now I'm hearing in the news that the price on tomatoes will rise at least 40%.. so who ever eats them might want to grow your own.

twp and Atlas like this.
  2. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Do you have a link to that report?

Last edited: May 13, 2019 at 6:17 AM
    Atlas likes this.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I actually did notice this last night at the store. I also noted that pork prices are going up.

twp likes this.
  4. twp

I checked our most recent set of flyers in the mail but the only thing I noted was that there were many fewer sales on meats. I could speculate that this a way to "hide" a price increase, but it was across the board on all meats. Feed prices may be causing this since higher cost for all meat animal feed will be passed along to us, the customers.

The weather report also says that more storms are due in the Mid US and Eastern US:

https://weather.com/storms/severe/news/2019-05-10-severe-weather-break-then-returns

Atlas likes this.
  5. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

twp and Atlas like this.
  6. twp

Argggghh! Google! :eek::mad::confused: I ran this search term using DuckDuckGo instead because Google does NOT need to know that I am watching:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q=tomato+tariff&ia=news
    I did note that the tariff is due to be implemented starting tomorrow, 5/14/19...

The reports mostly seem to be speculation on just how severe a price change may result (scream and shout, run about). I expect a run on tomatoes at the grocery stores. Get 'em while you still can???

Atlas and jimLE like this.
  7. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

and grow them while you can as well..i have 2 tomato plants someone gave me.and yes their planted :D

Atlas and twp like this.
  8. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

That's the best way! Grow them yourself.

jimLE and twp like this.
  9. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

Atlas and twp like this.
  10. twp

If these tariffs force production and agriculture to emphasize locally grown (US) rather than imports, I think it will be a good thing. One problem is the seasonal availability of produce. We might not see the same produce at all times of the year. Another reason to stockpile foods and grow your own...

The other side of the coin is the money flow to US agriculture. There will be pressure to restore the export/import pricing to keep the profit level high. That pressure is part of Trump's plan, but he faces resistance when big agriculture starts to lose cash flow. Crocodile tears...:(

Watch for the complaints start to roll in from the political parties, both sides... Big agriculture will be funneling money to the politicians (Shock!:eek: Really?)...

Atlas and jimLE like this.