1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Hexi Stove Alternative.

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Sally Rudd, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

My last Hexi stove finally buckled beyond repair so I have been looking at alternatives and came across this little gem. It folds flat for transport and if I don't use the little shelf for the hexi blocks, a little meths burner fits in there a treat.

Attached Files:

Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

looks expensive, I bought a couple of hexi stove brand new still in the packaging at a car boot for £1 each.

4. Sally Rudd

That looks the bits Atlas it looks like a beefier version of a Sterno. I got a Sterno while I was in the USA some years ago. It's seen a lot of use and is still going strong. I've used it with a meths burner, Gel fuel tins, and I've even had a little wood fire in there.

Atlas likes this.
  5. Atlas

I have made stoves from tin cans that worked well enough. The cool thing about the nano is that it packs down really small, but larger pots can still be used. It also works for fires or fuel canisters. I also really like that it can go into the tin and all of the soot and dirt is contained.

6. Atlas

7. Sally Rudd

I have a bit of a stove problem:oops: particularly multifuel ones. I've never really bothered with gas stoves. The one I took camping last month stayed in it's box and I used a hexi stove and the sterno.
    I have my eye on a Sterno Inferno next.

Inferno Stove Kit :)

Atlas likes this.
  8. Sally Rudd

I've made and used a lot of those hobo type stoves. I use a small tin in the Sterno as a firebox and burn wood pellet cat litter.;)

Atlas likes this.
  9. Atlas

I have a little gas stove that is really nice for a warm drink or meal on the move and quick. Unfortunately we have a serious issue with fires here, so there are times when a gas stove is really the only option. It gets very dry here.

When the rains come, I will always take a fire cooked meal when I can. It is definitely much nicer and makes the food taste better.

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

I do most of my camping and hiking on Dartmoor, our local national park, due to the nature of the ground and lack of trees open fires are banned so I use a small gas stove instead.

Atlas likes this.