1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 months, hard use: The Ontario Rat 1 folder.

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by hypnos, Mar 16, 2019.

1. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

20190316_174636.jpg
    The Ontario Rat 1 is far and away from the quality and durability you would expect from a knife below $40.00

Name your price, the Ontario Rat 1 is probably the best knife for all around everyday use that you can buy today. Even with the cheaper AUS8 steel (you can upgrade to D2!)
    It came shaving sharp. My initial review was a difficult one for a knife of any prce range, and fresh from the package.
    I dry shaved with it, then batoned through a small log, then made a feather stick, and shaved again...name a folding knife in the $100 price range that can do that!

My testing was not over, i decided to carry it everyday and use it for things it was never intended for. Sometimes our Edc knifes get put through this sort of thing, so i decided it was important to test it.

I am a carpenter by trade, sometimes we pry things into place, and chisel things to fit. Safe to say, i use a knife often, daily, and less than kindly.

I used this knife as a chisel. I don't know what better durability test there is for a folding knife. I hit the back of it, and the spine of a blade with a hammer.
    I pried with it, i cut plastic banding from pallets, and sharpened pencils every work day for 6 months.
    It has been rained on, carried and used in very high temps, snowed on, frozen, and abused. With, and without gloves.

I did make one modification. I added the horn to the top of the spine, making it excel in opening like an emerson wave, faster, and easier to actuate than a switchblade...gloved hands or no.

It opens silky smooth as they day it was purchased, i used it for food prep, and save minor blemish, it is still going strong.

AUS8 has an advantage compared to other steels, because it is a corrosion resistant stainless that is still capable of producing sparks with a ferro rod. The spine is a flat and sharp 90 degrees, no need to modify.

It is all around the best folding knife made considering its price point, save for one minor gripe. The thumbstuds are small and cumbersome, but, that does mean they don't protrude to the point of being uncomfortable in the pocket when carried all day long, every day.

No buyers remorse here, i purchased mine at walmart for under $30.00 with tax included.

One thing of note is the pocket clip has not fatigued. I have carried other knives at the $200-$300 dollar mark that could not make that claim! Unfortunately i failed to loctite the screws into place after repositioning the clip, that was a failure on my part and not reflecting on the performance of the R1.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    jdp and Atlas like this.
  2. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

20190316_181946.jpg

jdp and Atlas like this.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Mine has been excellent as well. One of the best knives that I've carried daily. I might even be harder on knives than you, and it just keeps coming back for more. Cleaning gasket material off of metal equipment and even cleaning old teflon tape out of threads on pipes is hard work for a knife, but I haven't hurt this one yet.

Thanks for the recommendation.

jdp and hypnos like this.
  4. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

I do all of what i mentioned and more. I beat the dog piss out of it. Unbeatable value.

jdp and Atlas like this.
  5. jdp

jdp Well-Known Member

I need to pick one of these up. Do they still have them at Walmart?

twp likes this.
  6. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

They had them last time I looked for the same price.

twp likes this.