1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 Fats: How and Why to Include Them in Your Food Storage Plan

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by twp, Jul 9, 2018.

1. twp

twp Active Member

I'll assume that we all know that fats are a necessary part of the human diet...

What kind of fats are better than others and which store better in prepper food stocks?

The author of this article has quite a bit of information on the above questions.

4 Fats: How and Why to Include Them in Your Food Storage Plan

I'll draw your attention to something: in a post-event world, where there may be no commercial foods available to buy, you are limited to what you have in your stockpile or what you can produce yourself.

Do plan on being able to make your own fats in a long-term crisis, ie. one which lasts longer than your stored fats. You can start practicing now, by saving your bacon (or other pork) fats and rendering them to lard. Keep the "Cracklins" for other recipes or just snacking.

Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I store olive oil, coconut oil, and canola oil for cooking and rotate as I use it. They all last for quite a while when unopened and kept in a cool dark place.

Olive trees are on the list to go into the yard this coming year, along with the figs, apples, and pears that are already doing well. The only thing is making the oil itself. I have visited several local oil producers in an effort to see how to do it, but I haven't had a go at it yet.

By the way, here is the press that I have been looking at.

3. twp

twp Active Member

While I like the design on that press, the price scares me away. Of course that price probably comes close to what a commercial olive oil processor would charge for processing one seasons olive crop. So long term, that first year cost is covered.

4. Atlas

I have a shop press already. Maybe I can reverse engineer a tool that does it instead of buying this one.

On another note, if you have the tool, bartering later for use of the tool in exchange for oil might be a good idea.

5. twp

twp Active Member

Good idea, barter the use of the press.

Atlas likes this.
  6. Atlas

That is the way I look at all tools, as a long term investment. Food tools definitely fall into that category.

7. jimLE

jimLE New Member

Thats why I've been stocking up on non electric tools.that way i can barter,what i cando with them.for food,first aid supplies. To whatever it is i need or want.

Atlas likes this.