1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D printed guns - Good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Overlander, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Overlander

Overlander Active Member

I know that 3D printed guns have been possible for several years now, but has the technology improved at all since 2013 when this article was written?

Has anyone here heard of the possibility of 3D printed guns? Have you created your own? What was your experience.

I also just found Pistol Tactical Accessories Clamp @ Pinshape which is a 3D printed accessories clamp for a BB pistol.

This is very interesting technology, but I don't see it ever becoming possible to make a working, reliable weapon without upgrading from the plastic printing media that's currently used in these devices.

I'd love to hear from someone who has more knowledge on this.

hypnos likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I don't really think 3d printing guns will be popular just yet, BUT there are a couple companies selling polymer AR lowers that are looking good. It's essentially a mold and the polymer compounds in a kit. You mix up the plastic and pour it into the mold, let it set up and then you have a lower. Easy enough?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

3. Overlander

Overlander Active Member

Very cool. I don't think I've seen that kit, but I'm off to find it now. I don't have an immediate need for something like that, but I'd love to read more about it.

4. Atlas

Freedom-15 100% AR-15 Lower Mold Kit & Resin

It would be cool if they made a glock frame version of this too.

5. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I'm resurrecting this thread because of the recent (July, 2018) court ruling which makes 3D printed gun models legally distributable. Defense Distributed |

The models are said to become available on Aug. 1st 2018. Expect a rush of downloads which could crash the file server. If you wait a few days, it may become less congested.

This article is an overview with links to more information:
    2018 3D Printed Gun Report - All You Need to Know | All3DP

Atlas likes this.
  6. Atlas

Cool! I will definitely download that one and add it to the library. Thank you for posting that.

7. twp

FYI, It is a lot more then just one design too.

I expect that metal barrels will be targeted next for restrictions and regulations. They are much harder to print in plastic unless they are very short ( about 3 inches ). You may be able to produce a plastic "lower" and even all the "furniture", but that barrel is both a high wear-rate component and needs to be longer for rifles.

So we watch this too.

Atlas likes this.
  8. hypnos

hypnos Active Member Survival Class Instructor

The 3D printed reciever is more or less hype. But, what it brings to the future of firearms manufacturing is nothing short of electrifying.
    The skinny on the 3D is they aren't a very rigid, or high performance reciever. The next factor is they are rough without high resolution printers, and the intitial investment is high for quality equipment. But, with improvements to material and new types of "additive manufacturing" like metalics, we will soon be able to print complex, and even previously impossible components at a degree of precision unlike any other type of manufacturing. This includes projectiles, accessories etc . For now, every other way is more practical, injection mold, aluminum extrusion/forged, binary chemical mold and so on. I came up with a new process i have yet to try i have dubbed the "paper tiger" you use a regular printer with the correct aspect ratio to make a paper template with cut lines layer by layer and make your own paper micarta billet lower by adding fiberglass epoxy. You can use rit dye to color the paper, or use construction paper in the color of your choice. Rather than needed a cnc to thread the buffer tube extension, it would be drilled and tapped for set screws...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Atlas likes this.
  9. twp

Ok, we'll want a full report on how this works in production, pictures very much needed.
    It sounds like you're making a laminated body which will need some milling and tapping to complete.

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  10. hypnos

No milling....it will be put together layer of paper at a time, each piece of paper can be cut with scissors or an exacto knife, the only other thing needed to finish it will be a drill and tap and die set. Think of it like building a reciever WITH the blue print...you follow? The material to make the reciever is the blue print itself.

Atlas likes this.
  11. hypnos

And no pictures, hahahaha. Well, maybe....idk yet on that.

Atlas likes this.
  12. twp

I'm not good enough with either scissors or xacto knives to build that. We're talking about hundreds of layers, if not more. I see it needing milling just to trim the surfaces to fit spec.

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  13. hypnos

Hahaha. No. If you can cut a dotted line you can do it. And sand paper to match your lower to your upper. Yes it will be thick, but you could easily do it in an evening and the paper and other materials will probably cost about 10$-20$ other than your tools...mess up a template??? Select the page number and print another one out.

Atlas likes this.
  14. hypnos

Keep in mind the ink will be minimal and the lines very small and dotted to save on ink. If you like, you could add a margin in the template with a logo, and a QR code to a website with the PDF printable file. Serial number, you name it. You will need some spacer blocks to place in the voids to prevent them from collapsing. If by milling you mean remove the excess epoxy from the fcg pocket then sure. But those spaces will be clear or opaque epoxy, easy enough to remove with a dremel without damage to the paper tiger.

Atlas likes this.
  15. hypnos

The same method may be easy enough for some accessories, micarta pistol grips, possibly even hangaurds. Mlok is basically just a 1/4" slot, and personally i think micarta is a great deal stronger than most plastics, and also easily machinable.

Atlas likes this.
  16. hypnos

Origami ar15 bros...making mine with dolla billz!!!! Just kidding.

Atlas likes this.
  17. hypnos

Not to toot my own horn or dirsrespect anyone, but, i used to build composite aircraft, and even aerospace components... I'm pretty certain its easily do-able, with an end result superior to most of the 80% ones on the market, and far more forgiving of mistakes.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  18. Atlas

Let's see it. I think that it's a great idea. I'm not saying you have to post pictures, but you should definitely do it and try it out. It could be a great thing.

hypnos likes this.
  19. hypnos

I will see what i can do. I don't have the equipment (software, printer)or the time (im at work about 12 hours a day) to do it yet. If somone beats me to it, no problem! The gun community needs this, they can ban our 3D files, but they will never take our freedom...tell you that much.

Atlas likes this.
  20. Atlas

I have tools and raw materials. They can't ever take it away from me.

Have you read about the village in Pakistan that makes replica weapons? That's living proof that they can never stop it.

hypnos likes this.