1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 minutes to midnight: a holistic approach to a firearm build and training concept.

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by hypnos, Apr 20, 2019.

1. hypnos

hypnos Moderator Staff Member

We can at least probably agree the ruger 10/22 is the pretty much the only .22 rifle worth going nuts on....can we agree on anything???:D

2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

10/22 is #1

This space left blank intentionally

Period.

hypnos likes this.
  3. Atlas

Binary trigger thread.... go.

hypnos likes this.
  4. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

Rifle(s) and handgun(s)? I am in.

Just my opinion.

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  5. Jerry D Young

I will pass on the binary trigger. I am not a fan of those.

Just my opinion.

6. hypnos

As soon as i think we have a cohesive unit about to tackle a discussion, in walks jerry with his monkey wrench...hahaha

Atlas and Jerry D Young like this.
  7. hypnos

What do WE think of the magpul backpacker for the ruger 10/22 takedown??? Want it...
    31101_03.jpg

8. hypnos

I'd be silly over one in stainless with a cerakote job, voltsquartsen exact edge extractor, extended charging handle, and a iddy bitty red dot like a holosun micro. (With a compass in the stock, and a this thing...that tells time)

9. hypnos

@Atlas, that would be nasty with a binary trigger and a BX-25 Mag full of CCI stingers... i wouldn't care what gun i had to defend myself opposite of that within 100 yards, even more probably. Not that its something good, and i don't even like mentioning this but, for sake of discussion. Active self protection on YouTube has a video of a teenage active shooter in a department store with a .22 semi auto rifle, and when people aren't drug crazed suicide bombers, even a .22lr really puts them down. Sadly enough.

10. hypnos

Why not Jerry?

Jerry D Young likes this.
  11. Jerry D Young

You have to remember, I am more than a bit quirky. And have my own version of logic.

I do not believe I am always 'right', and certainly do not believe that others should take my statements as any type of gospel. Much of what I post is as a list of options or possibilities. Many are what I would choose for the stated scenario when there is one, and when there is not, I almost always go for the ability to cover as many possibilities as possible, including some that might not be too likely, but will often have major consequences if they do occur.

The binary trigger opinion comes under my quirks label and my logic label, too.

Though not by much, the binary trigger is a bit more complex. However, the biggest reason I do not like the concept is the loss of trigger control. It might just be my perception, but the one time I fired one, I had a very bad feeling of "Crap! What if I do not want that second round going downrange for some reason?"

A two or three round burst, one would think, would be the same thing with me. But it is not. The two or three rounds are gone before I can really release the trigger so there is nothing I can do anyway. And I wanted that burst or I would not have selected it. On the other hand, every time I pull the trigger on a binary, I am going to get two rounds. The only way not to is to not release the trigger, point the muzzle somewhere safe, and then release the trigger. And the second shot, hopefully, does not do any harm. But you have still wasted a round.

I understand that this is not going to be logical to very many people. It is simply the way my mind works.

Unless I totally do not understand how a binary works, which is certainly possible, I just do not want to not have that second round under my direct control.

Just my rather strange opinion.

12. hypnos

I don't expect 100% of people to agree on anything. I was only joking. Yes, most of those trigger systems do just what you said. Except the fostech, which can be switched to safety while the trigger is held down. But, a very sound argument, Jerry. I salute you!

Of course, all of the parts exist for the real deal for most popular semi auto rifles, if you know what you are doing and have the tools and skills it probably wouldn't be all that hard. Nothing beats the real thing, unless you want to have the closest thing possible to it for its practical, financial, and legal reasons. And yet strangely, considering all that, more design complication and certainly less safety, so i see your point!

Atlas likes this.
  13. hypnos

@Jerry D Young , being a quirky guy...i know of an accessory right up your alley....
    Ever see an accutact angle sight? For CQB mounted to your CBJ, while your pieing the corners in a post apocalyptic KFC, it would be invaluable... http://accutact.com/anglesight.html

If i was using a red dot instead of a magnified optic, i would be using this also.

Atlas likes this.
  14. Atlas

https://franklinarmory.com/franklin-armory-bfsiii-ar-c1/

With this version of the binary trigger you select safe, semi, or binary. Like deciding between semi or 3 round burst on a M16 you are deciding on semi or 2 rounds with the binary. That's the way I look at it. The difference being if you decide that you dont want to fire the second round you can select safe and not fire it. This seems like an ok solution to me.

hypnos likes this.
  15. Atlas

I think it is the best thing since chocolate milk was invented.

hypnos likes this.
  16. hypnos

It is wayyyy up there. A stroke of genius by the magpul folks. Ever since it came on the scene after ruger started selling the takedown (magpul was quick to innovate) i have wanted one.

Atlas likes this.
  17. Jerry D Young

I will agree wholeheartedly on the Ruger .22 rimfire series of guns.

If I was going to get another .22 rimfire rifle, it would be a Ruger 10/22 clone.

Just my opinion.

18. hypnos

The tactical solutions rifles and handguns and the Volquartsen lineup all look very good but i haven't tried them.

Jerry D Young and Atlas like this.
  19. Atlas

Me either, but they look to be very nice.

I have a 10/22 that literally has 1 million rounds through it. All original.

Jerry D Young and hypnos like this.
  20. hypnos

They chug right along :)

Atlas likes this.