1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

275 gallon IBC totes

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by Atlas, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

20160709_122701.jpg

Intermediate Bulk Containers of IBC totes are becoming more and more popular for water storage. They come in both 275 gallon (pictured here) and 330 gallon capacities, with the 275 gallon size being the more common of the two. There are also different colors available, white is most common but as you can see there are blue available as well. The blue tanks are less prone to algae growth since they don't let light in, but the white ones can be covered to help with this issue.

I've seen IBC Totes on Craigslist for as little as $65 dollars, but the average price is around $100 for the 275 gallon size and $150 for the 330 gallon size. I've also seen them at the local Home Depot for around $250, but these are brand new and have never had anything in them.

That being said, the same that goes for the 55 gallon drums goes for these. Make sure you know what was in them before you buy and double check to make sure before you use them. Many of these totes are used for chlorine or other chemicals that may or may not be good to use after. Do your homework.

Having water stored and on hand is a primary prep item. The more, the better. If you can store some of these full you will be that much better off. Remember the rule, 1 gallon of water per person per day.

2. OkieRebel

OkieRebel New Member

Been meaning to buy a few of these. My main issue is keeping the water potable without harsh chemicals.
    I do have 55 gl barrels availabe to me for free but they were filled with petro products. Not sure what to use them for yet.

3. Atlas

The petro-chemicals make it hard to use for water storage. I wonder if they would be any good for fuel storage? I haven't heard of people doing this, but haven't really looked into it either.

By harsh chemicals to treat water do you mean bleach?

4. OkieRebel

OkieRebel New Member

Yes. I guess thats better than the protezoa or amoeba type diseases that could result in not using it .

5. Atlas

Well, let me do a little research on water treatments and get back to you. Please feel free to start a thread on it if you know and want to share with the group. I know there are other ways to do it besides bleach, but I'm not positive about it all.

6. Overlander

Overlander Active Member

Man your prices on those 275 gallon containers are nuts. Here we can pick those up for $35 all day long. Tons of them have been used for industrial soap (concentrate) storage. Pretty safe for drinking after they've been cleaned.

For keeping the nasties at bay - I may be mistaken, but I think you can treat the water with simple bleach and take care of most of them. We have had a cistern in the past, but it didn't require much maintenance - Just use the water often enough that nothing sits in it too long. I'd be curious about long-term storage though.

Atlas likes this.
  7. Atlas

Cough. $35! Man, that's rediculous!

Being that many folks in my area are gardening off grid, it probably drives the price up quite a bit. Yet another thing the growers have driven up in price... but don't get me started on that!

8. Atlas

Prices are still pretty steady here at $100 or so. I am looking to pick up a few more. Did you ever pick any up @OkieRebel?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  9. Overlander

Overlander Active Member

I am actively searching for land in Puerto Rico, which means that I have a lot of classifieds facebooks groups on my feed (Truly the only reason I have a facebook account). I saw this ad today and I couldn't believe it. That price is highway robbery AND it can't be used for potable water. In a place where hurricanes are sure to strike again and people need to be able to store water safely, I can't believe these aren't available for cheaper.

Attached Files:

Atlas likes this.
  10. Atlas

That is insane! A smart man would fill a conex with them and put it on the RORO out of Florida headed over there.

Good luck with the move @Overlander ! Please keep us updated on life as a prepper over there. I am sure that there is plenty to learn, you will probably still see some of the effects of the hurricane when you get there.

11. Overlander

Overlander Active Member

I actually believe I misread his post in my hurry to copy it over here, lol. He's actually saying that there are cheaper ones available elsewhere, but this one is expensive because it CAN hold potable water because it was only used to transport bleach.

Still, $180 is outrageous. Indeed my first thought was, "I wonder how much it would cost to ship several containers of these".

We aren't there yet, but we're actively working on it. We go down in a few weeks to look at several land listings we've found. Tentatively planning on a move next year.

Atlas likes this.
  12. Atlas

If it makes you feel any better, I was in the city today and stopped by home depot. They had these things listed for $300 out front! New, but still.

The thing is, a 250 gallon green pvc tank costs about that much or more, so these may be a deal still in the eyes of someone who doesn't know any better.

How have the prices of houses faired since the hurricane? More now that we can see what did ok through the storm, or less because of the infrastructure still struggling?

13. Atlas

By the way, I did pick up two more of these for $130 yesterday, so $65 each. Used but good.