2020 Forest Fire Season

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
Wow, the smoke is only getting worse here. Yucch!

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Another fire from arson.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/news/read.cfm

A suspect arrested last evening for starting a brush fire was arrested again after he started 6 more small fires.

On Monday, September 14, 2020 at 3:37a.m., East Precinct officers were dispatched with Portland Fire and Rescue to a report of multiple fires burning along the west side of the I-205 freeway. Portland Fire and Rescue extinguished three of them while passing community members put out the other three. All were caught early. No one was injured and no structures were burnt. Officers located Domingo Lopez, Junior walking along the shoulder and arrested him. They seized a lighter as evidence.

Lopez was transported to a hospital on a Police Officer Hold for a mental health evaluation. He was issued citations for 6 additional counts of Reckless Burning.

###PPB###

###ORIGINAL MESSAGE BELOW###

A suspect was arrested after using a Molotov Cocktail to start a small brush fire.

On Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 4:35p.m., East Precinct officers were dispatched to assist Portland Fire and Rescue with a brush fire in the 9600 block of East Burnside Street. Officers saw that a section of grass along the I-205 freeway was burning. Firefighters extinguished the fire. No one was injured and no structures were damaged.

About an hour later, East officers were flagged down by a witness who pointed out the suspect in a nearby tent. Officers arrested the suspect, who confirmed he lit the fire with the device.

Officers seized a plastic bottle with a wick as evidence (photos).

Officers booked Domingo Lopez Jr., 45, into the Multnomah County Detention Center on charges of Reckless Burning and Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree. Arson investigators are also doing follow-up to see if other charges are warranted.

###PPB###

Reactions: twp

twp

Staff member
I hope the penalty for arson is harsh... Really harsh.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not asking questions if I see someone in the woods doing this.

twp

Staff member
It's like burning the house down to avoid using a vacuum to remove the dust bunnies.

twp

Staff member
Wow, that article was originally published in 1991, 29 years ago... Actions/In-actions have consequences...

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Oddly enough, I actually witnessed the demise of the forests first hand. It's very saddening.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
This is a pretty good talk about the history of fires in California and where we are headed. Coming from the UC system it's fairly unbiased for them and has some good info.

twp

Staff member
Very interesting information. I'm wondering if California, under Gov. Newsom will attempt to reduce the fuel loading levels in the forests? It doesn't sound like something he has considered (no money in it for the government).

Of course, Newsom may not make it through the election... Hoping.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I think that the private land owners are figuring it out quickly. Everyone I know is all about fuel reduction, especially the further south you go. Even some of the smaller governments are figuring it out, so that is a good step in the right direction. The problem really is for the people that live on the edge of the populated areas. My dad lives right up next to a state park. The property owners all around him have things looking really good, but one look over the back fence tells you exactly where the state parks are at with fuels reduction. It is SCARY. A few fires in these state and national lands are going to start drawing negative attention soon, and I hope that sways the politics to a point where they are forced to do something.

twp

Staff member
<cough><hack><sneeze>:eek:

twp

Staff member
The smoke is very thick today. Visibility is less than 1/2 mile. Visible haze even across our parking lot.
Fortunately the wind is low, but the forecast suggests the we could have high winds later today/tomorrow which will not be good for the California fires.

WolfBrother

Saw a bubba engineered air filter. Get a box fan, get an Air conditioner filter rated to take smoke out, duct tape it to the intake side of the fan, run the fan. Should somewhat help interior air quality. YMMV
I did one with down to virus ratings to keep the house as clear of allergens as I can.

I had to go back an I bought two fans, duct taped them front to back and put the filter on the back. Turned them both on high. I removed the back grill off the non-filter one and the front grill off the filter one. Made for a better taping surface.

My wife’s allergies are better and doing the two fans in series ( output of filter fan is input to second fan ) neither fan burned out. Neither fan seems hotter than the other after 36 hours of continuous use.

I suspect if you go with a smoke rated filter those of you in/around the fire/smoke effected areas just might have better indoor aIr quality.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
The smoke is very thick today. Visibility is less than 1/2 mile. Visible haze even across our parking lot.
Fortunately the wind is low, but the forecast suggests the we could have high winds later today/tomorrow which will not be good for the California fires.
Thanks to the Delta Breeze.

I did one with down to virus ratings to keep the house as clear of allergens as I can.

I had to go back an I bought two fans, duct taped them front to back and put the filter on the back. Turned them both on high. I removed the back grill off the non-filter one and the front grill off the filter one. Made for a better taping surface.

My wife’s allergies are better and doing the two fans in series ( output of filter fan is input to second fan ) neither fan burned out. Neither fan seems hotter than the other after 36 hours of continuous use.

I suspect if you go with a smoke rated filter those of you in/around the fire/smoke effected areas just might have better indoor aIr quality.
I think this is going to be my next project.

twp

Staff member
I woke up to high winds and clear air, for the first time in a couple of weeks. It's good for us here in Reno, NV, but I suspect those high winds are fanning the flames in California.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like we are going to get lucky on this one. Rain! Yay!

twp

Staff member
Excellent news. Our forecast says 20% chance of rain here, so I'll wait and see.